Being that I have decided to follow a vegetarian diet for the month of March, I wanted to share the recipes. I am also trying to eat as healthy as possible, as to not just eat pizza and french fries. I found this recipe on Pintrest, and it’s so easy even the most inexperienced cook, can do it. Try to use Organic vegetables if possible.
Spicy Black Bean Peppers
- 2 small peppers (any kind you’d like)
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper for a little heat
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, or any cheese you like
- fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a slit through the entire length of each of your peppers. Place them on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, until the skins are soft and beginning to blister.
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes, until they start to become translucent.
- Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in your black beans along with the water.
- Add your cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Stir, then cover the pot, and reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for at least 15 minutes, but up to 30 minutes.
- Stir in corn. Divide the bean mixture evenly among the two peppers and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil for 3 minutes, until the cheese melts and is bubbling. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream if you’d like.
Recipe Credit: Can You Stay for Dinner